I got so frustrated with my C code in Open Watcom I dug out my old C# ASP.NET version of Vault-OS (was going great guns on this last year until I decided I was going to write something that would run on any machine with an ansi C compiler) and I had a marathon putting together a new menu system and and embedded database. I got this compiling together with aspNetCore, an open source ASP.NET server that can be compiled together with your website, completely doing away with IIS and Microsoft SQL Server altogether.
I'm a bit ashamed I didn't find out about the embedded web server until I went back to have a look at the ASP.NET version. I also found out it runs under Mono on Linux and FreeBSD.
I was doing a little work on it this morning and marveling at how incredible it was looking when suddenly out of the blue it popped into my mind what I was doing wrong over in my Watcom C build. My receive buffer was only 1536 bytes and I was sending it chunks of data nearly 6K of form fields. It was timing out trying to process it all in segments. I increased the RCX buffer size, presto, problem mysteriously vanished instantly.
So now I am left with this revamped remarkable looking ASP.NET web server for VOS that is already capable of things I could only dream of in the other version and my C version is functioning again.
I have decided that rather than change back, I am going to forge ahead with this ASP.NET server to release as an alpha version before the end of February for testing. You heard it here, you can hold me to it. Alpha for testing will be released on or before February 28th. Crash, rock, fail, whatever shape it is in I am putting the ASP.NET version up this month as-is to get some feedback. I tried running this as an experiment on a massively scaled down Win 98 on a machine with 64 MB RAM and it appeared to run very well, both with .NET 2.0 runtime and Mono. In all likelihood I will be installing the lite version of Windows 2000 on this machine for my final product, I believe I can get that down to around a 60 MB installation on hard disk with 32 MB RAM sufficient for decent speed.
The C version is still very important to me, amongst other things for running on tiny computers that otherwise might not have the RAM to run the ASP.NET or even an OS outside of minimal Linux or DOS. I will get back to it in coming months but am fixated now on finishing this ASP.NET VOS I originally started on in 2006.
Hold me to it, I am setting this deadline for myself. February 2012 for 1st Alpha version. If testing goes well, I could have a release version by end of March.
Remember, whatever machine you test it on, please replace your boot screen with this image. I did on my little PC/104 box and I get this incredible thrill every time I boot it up.